Staying Active with your Dog this Summer?
Helpful Hints from Becky Hutchins and Van Allen Apartments
It’s that time of year again when it seems everyone is out walking, biking, running, and hiking! And who’s more fun to take with you than your best friend? There are a few things you should keep in mind before venturing out with your favorite four-legged friend.
Before heading out:
- Check the weather! When the sun is out, dogs can get warm quickly! Make sure to bring plenty of cool water for them too — there are several handy portable dog bowls available that can clip to your leash.
- Make sure your pup is up to date on all their flea, tick, and heartworm preventatives! Be sure to speak with your veterinarian to see what’s best for your dog.
- Be careful on the pavement! Sidewalks and roads can get very hot in the summer and burn the pads on your dog’s feet.
- Poop happens so don’t forget to clean up after your dog! There are several attachments for your leash for carrying extra bags.
- When going for a walk, either a flat collar made of leather or nylon, or a martingale collar is best. Martingale collars are perfect for dogs that might slip out of their collar, so you don’t lose your best friend! Ideally, you only need a 4’ or 6’ leash for a walk. You want to give them enough to sniff but not wander too far away.
- Does your dog like to pull when out on a walk? There are two types of front hooking harnesses that will help with this and make your walks more enjoyable: 1) the EZ-Walk Harness by PetSafe available at local pet stores, and 2) the SENSE-ation Harness available online.
- Going for a hike in the woods? Try a back-hooking harness, so your dog has a little more freedom to roam. When hiking, use a long line that is made of the same material as most leashes. Not to be confused with flexi-leads which often break and can also cause very painful rope burns, a long line is a plain leash that comes in longer lengths, like 15’, 20’, or even 30’ if you really want to let your dog get some exploring in!
It’s also a good idea to bring some high value treats with you. There are several treat pouches that you can hook to a belt loop or have handy in your pocket! If you happen to find yourself in that spot where your dog is uncomfortable, it might take a piece of chicken to make him brave again & move past that situation.
Now get out and enjoy the summer with your dog!
Becky has been professionally training dogs and people for more than a decade. She teaches classes at her training facility, Good Choice Dog Training, in Albany, NY. Becky is a certified knowledge-assessed professional dog trainer through the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers and is an American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Evaluator. She is also a member of the Association for Professional Dog Trainers.
Becky volunteers her time as a dog trainer with the Albany Damien Center’s PAWS program, helping clients with HIV/AIDS manage and care for their dogs, and also works with shelter dogs at the Mohawk Hudson Humane Society in Menands, NY. She also holds special classes for foster dogs in rescue from local rescue organizations
Becky has trained and competed with her own dogs in agility and obedience, earning multiple titles and awards. She currently has one Labrador retriever, two Cairn terriers, a Pitbull, and two cats. To contact Becky Hutchins, visit www.goodchoicedogtraining.net.
About Van Allen Apartments
Van Allen Apartments offers luxurious living for you and the ones you love. The community boasts a clubhouse, swimming pool, and fitness club. Apartments feature oversized kitchen islands, granite countertops, and a balcony or patio to relax and enjoy your coffee.
More than pet-friendly, Van Allen is truly pet welcoming with no breed restrictions, a pet grooming center, dog parks, and a walking trail.
Your Amedore-built home is nestled in a large wooded area and managed by professionals of the highest caliber from Sunrise Management & Consulting.
To schedule a time to see Van Allen Apartments or to join our mailing list, please visit www.VanAllenApartments.com.